MemphisAquaria.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Local Fish Store Listing

Reply to topic    MemphisAquaria.org Forum Index » Local Fish Stores View previous topic
View next topic
Local Fish Store Listing
x86Daddy
Site Admin

Post Local Fish Store Listing Reply with quote
I'll continually update this post... feel free to reply with others and I'll add them up here. Also, if I'm wrong about what any of them stock (i.e. I left off plants somewhere), let me know and I'll update.

Bob's Tropicals [FW, SW, Plants]
2944 Covington Pike 385-2904

Hollywood Pet Star [FW]
2648 Broad Avenue 452-2474

House of Tropicals [FW]
3659 Millbranch Road 396-2088

Kermit's Reef [SW]
8551 Macon Road 755-8033

MemFish [FW, SW]
5719 Quince Rd 766-2992

PetCo [FW, SW, Plants]
3484 Poplar Avenue 323-5535
5970 Poplar Avenue 755-7323
6015 Stage Road 386-1863
1250 North Germantown Parkway 757-1376
205 Goodman Road West, Southaven, MS 662-349-7460

PetSmart [FW, Plants]
5883 Poplar Ave 767-6920
2805 Wolfcreek Parkway 384-9823
7941 Winchester Road 756-2676

Something Fishy [SW]
1658 Whitten Road 371-2223

Last edited by x86Daddy on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:38 am; edited 8 times in total
Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:23 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
tmaccabe

Post Reply with quote
I have visited the following this week. They all sell Saltwater fish. My take:

1. Something Fishy - a serious reef store, the most impressive livestock collection ever, and the best "Live" rock in town. That said, I seem to have brought home a 100 or more tiny shrimp. Any advice on buying something to eat these? Still, the rock seems pretty much void compared to that which I was able to buy in Miami. An amazing selection of aquariums and cabinets to buy. Parts seem rather pricey. A Skilter 250 was about $10 more than at Bob's Tropicals. The store is easy to miss so do a Mapquest before going. It's in a little yellow house on a big street.

2. Bob's Tropicals - a nice healthy looking selection of FW and SW fish, okay prices, and nice aquarium cabinets. A good solid fish store, but not a specialty store. They did have one of the nicer SW aquarium kits. The "Live" rock was pretty and clean, but limited to large fist sized pieces. At $8.00 a pound you can do better at Kermit's where it's $3.99.

3. Kermit's - Another good reef store, but smaller than Something Fishy. They carry a small hi-tech reef aquarium kit for a good price. Really cool. Wish I had gone there first.

4. PetCo - Good prices. I bought my 26gal bow front aquarium and stand here, and all my supplies. It's a pretty tank with matching black stand that I haven't seen anywhere else. The stand should be reinforced, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. The only problem now is that I'm stuck with a single 18" 15w bulb. I put a Zoo Med Reef Sun 50/50 in it that I really like. Guess I'm doing a "Fish Only" tank. Their selection of SW fish is small and I wasn't impressed with how they looked. I regret buying my filter there. I bought a Marine Land Penguin Bio-Wheel 200 because it was the best they had. Great flow and I like the fact that it has a second media slot. It's for sale "cheap" if anyone wants it. The problem is that on a small tank you just don't have room for a protein skimmer. I've since bought a Skilter 250. It is quieter, includes a integrated protein skimmer, it aerates, and the media can be swapped one layer at a time. It's the only way to go in my book.

Sun May 07, 2006 7:27 am View user's profile Send private message
dar83

Post Reply with quote
House of Tropicals......
i visted this store today and I have mixed emotions about this place. They have an awsome selection of fish. I mean form fresh water eels and fresh water rays to pacus. Although some of the tanks look dirty most of them where clean and up kept. They don't have much else forsale besides fish, so don't go here looking for supplies. The owner is a very very freindly black guy whos owned it for the past year he told me and seems very willing to make deals on almost anything in the store.
Down side of this place its that it is in a VERY poor location. I mean lets just say i'm glad i have my right to conceal arms permit, because i wouldn't go to this part of memphis without my little friend Very Happy

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
dar83

Post Reply with quote
okay so i went back to house of tropicals today. THis guy has lots and lots of diffrent and BIG fish. I mean he really has some neat stuff in there. Although the water conditions of his tanks are very poor. I mean i saw a 10g tank with about 5 10" oscars in it. And all of them had HITH. all his stuff is over stocked, and i don't really think he does enough up keep. But its still an awsome store, just be prepared to hospitalize any fish you bring home. Our newest edition will be kept in a 30 gallon for a couple weeks with some salt and cooper safe.
Anyways thought i would share and try to keep the forum alive.

Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
Mexican Racoon

Post lfs Reply with quote
I have driven down milbranch repeatedly in the past few months. I never see that store.

I live near the Hollywood Petstar off SamCooper. They are always helpfull, and keep a nice selection of Cichlids.
Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
dar83

Post Reply with quote
this store is about 3 blocks north of holmes, on the west side of the road. Its inside a shopping center with a fish fry place and a nail salon. hope this helps

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:56 am View user's profile Send private message
Mexican Racoon

Post Reply with quote
I found the store on Milbranch.

crap

that place is a s#!t hole.

they had some stuff I haven't seen anywhere else, but the setups were all s#!t.
Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:12 am View user's profile Send private message
ben pugh

Post Reply with quote
i agree with everybody this store is a dirty place but they keep me in business buying piranhas from me.
Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
pondnewbe

Post Reply with quote
i went into something fishy the other day expecting some fresh water plants and stuff but i guess i missed the memo a couple years back they changed to only saltwater. i am glad there is a site like this though i found out about it on the planted tank forum i hope this really takes off.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:22 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
wfpearson

Post Reply with quote
Add Lil John's Animall on Germantown at Dexter. Google Map Link
Phone: (901) 752-0191
Large selection of marine and tropicals. The only place I've found that stocks Eco-Complete. They're right around the corner from me, big plus.

55g Amazon planted tank. Marbled Hatchetfish, Plecosomus, DIY Lighting and CO2, Amazon Swords, Chain Swords, Bog moss (Mayaca Fluvaitilis), Alternanthera reineckii, more to come.
Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:58 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
x86Daddy
Site Admin

Post Yeaaaaahh!! And furthermore, Okaaayy! Reply with quote
Wow... I live around the corner from this too and have never noticed it! Which shopping center is it in, the Corky's one, the Huey's one, the Kroger one, or the La Hacienda one? Thanks for the info!

wfpearson wrote:
Add Lil John's Animall on Germantown at Dexter. Google Map Link
Phone: (901) 752-0191
Large selection of marine and tropicals. The only place I've found that stocks Eco-Complete. They're right around the corner from me, big plus.

Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:48 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
wfpearson

Post Reply with quote
Oops, sorry, I was going to put that information in the post. ADD kicked in.

It's in the strip mall between Hueys and El Porton. In the corner where the antique mall used to be. They've only been there for a few months. It's a sole proprietorship so they don't stock a whole lot of supplies. They had to order extra Eco-Complete but I spoke with them on Tuesday and it was in stock on Thursday.

Also, I called up Something Fishy and asked them if they had "ceramic airstones" not limewood, not the throw away kind. The guy there said he had a couple of kinds. Well I got there and all they had were limewood and throw aways. I was a little ticked but from what my brother's friend has said, this is par for the course for them.

What I really don't get is the attitude of a lot of the "Marine only" stores toward Freshwater aquarist. I usually get snobbed out of the store. "We don't carry freshwater stuff." Like it's inferior. I realize the consumer trend is toward the marine stuff, but if you have an account with AP, Kent, Kordon, Hagen, or any of the other manufacturers that make both freshwater and marine supplies, wouldn't it make sense to say something like. "We don't usually carry freshwater supplies in stock, but if you need to order anything we'd be happy to source it for you and give you a price quote." That sounds a hell of a lot better than, "We don't do freshwater."

I think all of the locally owned stores need a marketing consultant.

55g Amazon planted tank. Marbled Hatchetfish, Plecosomus, DIY Lighting and CO2, Amazon Swords, Chain Swords, Bog moss (Mayaca Fluvaitilis), Alternanthera reineckii, more to come.
Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:17 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
x86Daddy
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
wfpearson wrote:
...wouldn't it make sense to say something like. "We don't usually carry freshwater supplies in stock, but if you need to order anything we'd be happy to source it for you and give you a price quote." That sounds a hell of a lot better than, "We don't do freshwater."

I think all of the locally owned stores need a marketing consultant.

Funny enough; when I visited Ocean Environment out in Atoka, they impressed me more than any other regional store by behaving exactly as you suggest a store should. I was pleased... too bad they're a bit further away. I will say I have had good service like this from Hollywood Petstar on Broad though, for a closer option.
Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:38 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
x86Daddy
Site Admin

Post Some pruning... Reply with quote
I updated the list (and the map) to remove Hollywood Pet Star on Stage, as they've discontinued aquaria related sales, and SuperPetz, as they closed. If anyone knows of new businesses or business closings, please post and I'll make additional updates.
Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:21 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
x86Daddy
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I've updated the list, first time in a while... If anyone knows of something new not on the list, or something on the list no longer open, please let me know and I'll make further updates.
Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:39 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Reply to topic    MemphisAquaria.org Forum Index » Local Fish Stores All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: