MemphisAquaria.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Hello!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    MemphisAquaria.org Forum Index » General Questions View previous topic
View next topic
Hello!
Wetthumbs

Post Hello! Reply with quote
I have been crusing the internet trying to find information regarding a Memphis area or Mid-South aquarium society/club. I can find occasional comments regarding this, but nothing recent. Is there a local club? I don't see any recent posts on this site, but I have my fingers crossed that there is still particpation. Confused

Wet Thumbs
Collierville
Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:04 am View user's profile Send private message
donh

Post Reply with quote
I've been coming on here about once a week for three months and haven't seen any activity at all. I too am in Collierville.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:22 pm View user's profile Send private message
Wetthumbs

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the answer Donh. I have been out of the hobby for a while, but looking to "dive" back in as soon as some things settle down for us. I had thought visiting a local club would be a great way to get excited all over again. Maybe we need to start a Collierville chapter Smile I think my neighbor might be interested too.....he breeds anglefish......food for thought.
Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
donh

Post Reply with quote
I'd be all for that. There are a lot of aquarists in Collierville. I know of a couple in my neighborhood. I don't know them but I've seen their reef tanks as I walked the dog by their houses. I also see a lot of Craigslist ads for aquarium related stuff in Collierville. I know a guy in Germantown too that would probably get involved.

I'm all freshwater. I've got four tanks - a 55, a 30L, a 20H and a 10 hospital tank. About to set up a fifth to start cycling to raise the 18 marigold swordtail babies that were just born last week. They are in a net breeder in the 30 right now.

What are you most interested in?

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:42 am View user's profile Send private message
Wetthumbs

Post Reply with quote
Sounds like there are possibilities for a local club for sure! I'll do more checking with some folks. In all of the web surfing I have done lately and discussing with the guy down at Bob's Tropicals this week it appears the old Mid-South Aquarium Society has not been around for a few years.

I have been out of the hobby for some time myself, but was very involved in the past. My interest has always been freshwater. I have kept a large variety of fish, but primarily cichlids, gouramis, corydorus and a few live bearers (cichlid food). It is because it has been a while since I was an active hobbyist that I wanted to see about attending some local club meetings to get involved again.

At the present time I have no tanks or equipment (notices that the old equipment is still just down the block at the neighbor's house Crying or Very sad ) and not sure when I can get set up again since our house is currently on the market and we are awaiting closure on another in Piperton. I am certainly feeling the bug though after checking out all the breeding Angle Fish in the neighbor's fish room! It sounds like you have a great set up going too!
Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:44 am View user's profile Send private message
Wetthumbs

Post Reply with quote
Getting closer! Long story, but took our house off the market this week........looks like I am closer to getting set back up than I had hoped! Wink
I'm thinking a 40 gallon to START......decisions, decisions
Stay tuned for more important words from your sponsor.
Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
donh

Post Reply with quote
Wetthumbs wrote:
Getting closer! Long story, but took our house off the market this week........looks like I am closer to getting set back up than I had hoped! Wink
I'm thinking a 40 gallon to START......decisions, decisions
Stay tuned for more important words from your sponsor.

Great! 40s are a really nice size. Petco is still selling for $1 a gallon up to 55s.

Don

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:38 am View user's profile Send private message
Wetthumbs

Post Reply with quote
I was very impressed at the pricing at Petsmart and really liked the tank dimensions on their 40s (wide x long, but not too tall).....*grins* trying to talk the Mrs into 2 x 40s! We even talked tank location this weekend. Now to determine what I want for filtration.....I have almost always had undergravel, but thinking about going canister to capture mechanical, chemical and biological. I had also thought about one tank being discus......but after checking out the internet sales prices I think I might wait a while before spending the extra cash. Definitely one will be Angels (since I have a source next door anyway).
Getting closer......*looks at the calendar and notices Christmas is coming soon*.....

Dave
Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
donh

Post Reply with quote
Wetthumbs wrote:
looks at the calendar and notices Christmas is coming soon*.....

Yes indeedy it is!! Very Happy

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
Wetthumbs

Post Reply with quote
Very Happy Made a final decision today (been taking my time because I want to "get r done" the right way). Definietly a 40 gal to start, with live plants, outside filtration and a community tank with anglefish as the star. Probably a pair of Krebensis and 3-5 dwarf (maybe honey or flame) gouramis, a few corydorus and a plecostomus (would LOVE to get a zebra pleco, but just saw a price on the internet for $449.50....yeah, like that's gonna happen).

OK, planning completed (along with location in my office/den). Now just to figure when and name brands for the equipment. I intend to get the tank set up with plants and cycling for at least a week before I begin to introduce fish. *rubs his hands together briskly at the challenge of aquatic design*......brings back fond memories.

Dave
Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
donh

Post Reply with quote
I love a blank slate and a pile of live plants! It's good for the soul.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:06 am View user's profile Send private message
donh

Post Reply with quote
I am going to get rid of a couple of tanks. I've got a 20H fully planted with driftwood and rocks. It has a 30-60 gallon filter on it, heater, and a lot of gravel. I also have a 30L with stand that is fully planted with one of the nicest pieces of driftwood I've ever seen in it. It has a Penguin Bio Wheel 200 filter on it, heater and a lot of gravel. All of the heaters and filters have been bought new in the last 6 months. I also have a lot more driftwood and rocks that you could have too. There are also some fish to get you started - a couple of quarter sized angels, a flame gourami, four marigold swordtails, some cherry barbs and some emerald green corys.

I would like to get $300 for everything or split it out $150 each. I'll throw in the driftwood and rocks regardless.

I'm in Collierville. I would help you move them.

Don

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:37 am View user's profile Send private message
donh

Post Reply with quote
Also got 10 black neons I'll include. I'll throw in a brand new 10 gallon tank too.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 am View user's profile Send private message
Wetthumbs

Post Reply with quote
Laughing You ARE a smooth talker! Just curious.....getting rid of tanks to make room for a big boy? Very Happy I just talked the Mrs into letting me start with a 75 (and we are still trying to figure out where to put all the furniture)! *shakes his head at himself*....of course I can't afford to buy everything for my big tank to begin with, but I can get the tank/hood and stand out of the way and have it sitting here (about $300 on sale at Petsmart) while I add a little to it at a time (Christmas is coming!).

I think I might be interested in your stuff (OMG! This is how I got started the first time and a year later I had 7 show tanks in the living room and 37 assorted breeding tanks and some ponds in a fish room!), but need to figure it all out with the better-half. (it sounds like I may be losing my office/den and gaining a fish room)
Whatever you do, let me know before you actually get rid of that stuff, but it may take some planning on my part (budget). I might have to pass, but *begins to pant* I don't want to!

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that an Aquarium Society can help with! It not only provides a venue for exchanging equipment (among other things), but gets the 'ol fish fever going! (My first intro was from a guy who had a 20L with a spawning pair of Dwarf Gouramis and then a guy who raised, bred and shipped world-wide Kilifish) I have been involved with 3 different clubs in the past and would love to get another club going locally. Idea

Give me a shout at turnerkeep@aol.com
Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
Wetthumbs

Post Reply with quote
See! I KNEW you were making room for a big boy. 80 Gallon....NICE!
I hope to have my 60 set up within a month.....MUCH more gear to go first.
Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    MemphisAquaria.org Forum Index » General Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: