MemphisAquaria.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SkeptikaL

Reply to topic    MemphisAquaria.org Forum Index » Random Stuff View previous topic
View next topic
SkeptikaL
SkeptikaL

Post SkeptikaL Reply with quote
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum, but already find it helpful! Found some LFS that I didn't know were here. Thanks a bunch! I have some tanks but I'll post them on showing off!

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:36 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
dar83

Post Reply with quote
welcome to the forum! i'm kinda new here myself, but i would like to see this thing grow so i normaly check it once a day.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
SkeptikaL

Post Reply with quote
Same here. I spend a lot of time also on www.thepufferforum.com

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:41 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
dar83

Post Reply with quote
those are some cool looking fish. I thought all puffers where salt water, shows what i know. I wonder i could stick one in with my oscars, if i got a larger tank.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
SkeptikaL

Post Reply with quote
I don't think thats the best of ideas, lol. They just look like a savory morsel to the oscars. But I could ask some guys at TPF if they've ever tried it. Smile

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:08 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
dar83

Post Reply with quote
your problay right. My big guy tries to eat everything Sad

Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
bobby welch

Post lfs and puffers Reply with quote
hey im kinda new to all this so i was just curious what is lfs ...also you can stick a puffer with a oscar just make sure you feed ur puffers well or they will eat the oscar i have ciclids in a tank with puffers and they dont even chase them around .. one time i stuck my finger in with my puffers and he bit me hard enough it left scratch marks on my finger they have sharp teeth lol
Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:08 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SkeptikaL

Post Reply with quote
LFS = Local Fish Store.

But to answer the oscar question, I have since seen many questions about mixing the two. Its nost def not a good idea...

1st Possibility: Puff chews off oscar's fins, oscar dies.

2nd Possibility: Puff and oscar shew each other to death.

3rd Possibility: Oscarm if large enough, swallows puff and puff either puffs in oscar's throat, choaking him to death. OR, Oscar swallows puff and dies from its toxins.

...In general, its not a good idea. Many people who keep puffs keep a "species only" tank meaning only one type of fish. Even if you add more, only certian puffs can tollerate tankmates, and they are specific and few.

And even if you feed the oscar enough, its part of his instincts to kill/eat a fish aggressive enough to challenege his domain. And puffers are VERY territorial. However, I recommend puffs to everyone if they can afford one. They are possibly the fish with THE MOST personality. They're really great pets... But a LOT of work.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:59 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
bobby welch

Post puffers and oscars Reply with quote
i have had puffers with oscars before and they did great together but the 3 puffers and 2 oscars i got were babies so maybe they just grew on each other , they did go after my african ropefish i have so i took him out along with the puffers put in a bigger tank with cichlids and bam they dont nip except for cichlids on cichlids action
Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:46 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SkeptikaL

Post Reply with quote
How long they been together and what puff? Cuz only ones sold locally in Memphis are either brackish or marine. And oscars are definately freshwater.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:23 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
x86Daddy
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
SkeptikaL wrote:
How long they been together and what puff? Cuz only ones sold locally in Memphis are either brackish or marine. And oscars are definately freshwater.

I bought Dwarf Puffers at Hollywood Petstar on Broad when they got some in. I've seen South American Puffers at Bob's Tropicals. PetSmart currently carries Dwarf Puffers. These are all true fresh water species. Unfortunately, most of the PetCos sell Figure 8 and Green Spotted Puffers with little to no indication that they're brackish. I've even seen Figure 8s at Walmart, so I know where you're coming from. Sad

Now if someone can find me some Carinotetraodon irrubesco (Red Tailed Red Eye Puffers; another fresh water species) around here, I'll be shocked and grateful!
Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:07 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SkeptikaL

Post Reply with quote
Oh, I had no idea DPs were around here... And SAPs! lol, have fun with the manual teeth grinding... They grow to fast for snails to handle, so you gotta take em outta the tank with a tool, some kinda grinder, and grind em by hand!

But still, I'm sure people have, but IN GENERAL, for the long run, its not a good idea... Odds are within the many years of these fishs' life, (for puffs, 10 to 15 to 18 years!) Eventually the oscar will grow big enough and curious enough to take a go at em... And eveyone knows a full grown oscar could EASILY swallow any of these puffs... (DPs max size = 1.5 inches; SAPs are 3 inches... Oscars, around 18 inches...) Its just in their nature...

But like I said, it can be done temporarily, but 999 times outta 1000, the puff won't live a full life... Wether it gets eaten or stressed out my the friggin BLUE WHALE of an oscar as a tankmate...

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:55 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
dar83

Post Reply with quote
okay so in about the last 2 months my oscar has decided that he doesn't want anything in the tank with him. I mean theres only him and another oacar, but i think hes decided that he doesn't care for that fish , and if the aggression keeps up i'll have to separate the 2.
So in point , if hes trying to kill another fish the same size, i know he would def. try and eat anythig else in the tank.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    MemphisAquaria.org Forum Index » Random Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: